Friday, March 10, 2006

There's a frog in South America

Today in Social Studies we discussed the early Americans' settlement of the Northwest Territory; modern-day Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois. There is a line in the Northwest Ordinance - the laws of said area - that says, "Religion, morality and knowledge being necessary to good governess and the happiness of mankind…"

Anywho, my teacher emphasized the knowledge point, and lauded America's founders for setting up public education. In my infinite impulsive wisdom and wit (*cough, look away*), I pointed out that some of them nevertheless publicly supported religion (at least, before the Constitution). I didn't expect her response: "Well, it's a Christian nation. Deal with it."

Now, I know she said this pessimistically (she's Jewish), so after class I said that we shouldn't have to deal with it. After all, government-supported religion is illegal. But she still maintained this pessimistic view that there is no hope.

And I found it depressing that an educator can be so bleak about this. I don't have much else to say except that this is why we have this blog - we're trying to spread optimism among America's youth.

That will be all.

4 Comments:

At 3/10/2006 5:46 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Even if the masses didn't have religion, they would probably have some other irrational pursuit. The Communists states have been pretty irrational, at times. Almost irrationally rational, if you see what I mean.

The most important things is not to hide away.

 
At 3/10/2006 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found all of you through I AM. I'm digging what I'm reading.

 
At 3/11/2006 1:11 AM, Blogger Nails said...

I so wish that my friends and I had had the means to start a blog like yours when I was in High School. It would have made the experienc so much more tolerable. Maybe even ... dare I say it? ... fun. I look forward to reading more when I'm more awake.
Your friend,
Kyaroko

 
At 3/11/2006 1:43 PM, Blogger Francois Tremblay said...

So she doesn't like state-supported religion and she teaches in a public school ?

How ironic. What exactly does she think the role of public schools is ? To actually educate children ? Give me a break.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.