Saturday, May 06, 2006

Cults

My history teacher made a remark the other day. I'm sure it would please the general atheist population.
I don't like the word cult. We use it to describe beliefs & religions we don't like. Aren't all relgions cults in a way?
He's right of course, there aren't any particular religions which are more legitimate than any other ones. It's all relative.

Now this doesn't mean I'm renouncing Judaism or anything, don't get too excited. But it does mean I should be a little less critical of other religions. To be honest, much of the reason that I'm Jewish is because I was exposed to Judaism first. Of course now, I'm more educated about alternate faiths and have made a conscious decision. That doesn't mean I don't have prejudices though.

It's just something to think about.

3 Comments:

At 5/06/2006 5:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes, Christianity is only as popular as it is because Christians have killed more people throughout history.


…notice how Islam is growing…

 
At 5/08/2006 2:05 PM, Blogger Francois Tremblay said...

"Now this doesn't mean I'm renouncing Judaism or anything, don't get too excited. But it does mean I should be a little less critical of other religions."

Funny how you got the exact OPPOSITE lesson from it, than any reasonable person would have gotten. But then again, what do you expect from a religionist.

 
At 8/07/2006 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the quote goes something like...

"Kill them all. Let God sort out his own"

I'll let you track down who said it and under what situation...

Craig

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.