Saturday, October 22, 2005

A Realization

I don't want to steal the spotlight, but I have to jump in before I forget.

I just realized something while I was driving home tonight, over the debate of the same-sex marriage amendment that is about to go to vote in Texas. I was running through the arguments that the other side might use, and then it hit me. Something that Christians sometimes say is that the Constition is based upon Christian ideals. No, I still know that they aren't right. The older Christian ideals differ alot from more modern ones. Its not against the law to work on the Sabbath, its not illegal to express ideas against church ideas anymore. This is because that the Christians ideology has been assimilated (some of it anyway) with the Constitution. This means that Christians will see their modern ideas in the Constitution, though the ideas of Christians at the time aren't really there.

1 Comments:

At 10/29/2005 6:19 PM, Blogger Kele said...

There are some things in law that reflect the whole "Keeping the Sabbath holy" thing though. Laws such as shops closing early on Sunday (not sure if that's a law or not), no alcohol sold on Sunday, etc.

I was watching CSI: Miami or something and on the bottom of the screen was a bar saying what was going to be on the news later. One of the things said that there were some parents somewhere in Minnesota that wanted to end high school games on Sundays. I wasn't able to find what it was on their site but I'm assuming it had something to do with religion... That's the only reason I can see as to why they'd do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.